Recently, while looking over wedding stuff with Ryan we were discussing certain possibilities and scenarios. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about but I answered at one point with, "Well, I don't think that will be a problem. I'm pretty sure your family isn't psychotic about this kind of thing....well, my family isn't either. Well, maybe both of ours can be a little psychotic.......but nothing too crazy!" The truth is everyone's family is a little psychotic at times. There are those certain people that-well, you know. That's part of being a family!
I think having a crazy family is one of the perks of growing up. It'll keep ya on your toes and you'll be more prepared, seemingly enough, for the unpredictability of life.
My family, in particularly, is going through a great deal right now. I feel very tired. I'm concerned for all of the people involved and its weighing on my a great deal. I'm not there, though, so I can only imagine what it must feel for my family over there dealing more directly with this, daily.
My grandparents are in a 'skilled nursing facility.' They are hating every moment of it. Its one of those things that you don't want to see and want to let them go home and be happy, but we also want them to get better and be healthy. Everyone is dealing with the circumstances in their own ways. Everyone is tired. Everyone wants to do what's best. However, everyone is not always on the same page. Family.
This Sunday was my grandfather's 94th Birthday and we planned a small gathering at the facility to celebrate. During one particular moment this weekend, there was a frustrating discovery about some of the care-giving instructions at the facility and the room suddenly became a chaotic mess of venting said frustrations all over the party room that we were 'celebrating' in. My grandmother's posture slumped and she began to look very tired, my grandfather started wandering around outside of the room and the rest of us just tried to think of something else to talk about and...failed. Its not like what happened was on purpose or trying to make things crazy, its just part of what happens sometimes when you get family together during some hard times. The crazy takes over for a few minutes and you just gotta work with it. Its really easy to want to loose all patience with these kinds of situations and end up very angry with all that's piling on but there also has to be a time where you have to take a step back and remember that we won't have them forever, to appreciate them while we do, and to be a little more patient.
Later, my grandmother was in a great deal of pain but didn't want to go to her room and said she had already taken something earlier for it. She was very uncomfortable. My grandfather who is very protective and concerned for her took her hand and would softly speak to her. He asked for others to get medicine or anything he could think of to help her. He was always by her side. Ryan later said that he must be the sweetest man alive with the way he talks and takes care of his wife.
Family.
Through thick and thin.
No comments:
Post a Comment