Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Life Controversy

I am not what I would consider an overly-opinionated person.  I am not someone that thrives on controversy and debating.  I like to avoid confrontation, if possible.  Its not that I don't have an opinion or that I don't want to step on toes or whatever, its only that I like to keep my feelings to myself unless I feel led or bothered enough to speak up.  This is for no reason than that of my own personal preference.  I would much rather debate symbolism and meaning that I find in books or theatre than the goings on in politics or the news.  There are only a few major subjects that I feel very strongly about.

In the last year or two, we have been to a lot of baby's birthday parties.  Our friends are reproducing and very quickly!  We have also had several people the last few weeks announce that they are having babies, too, and we are super excited for all of them.  Some aren't necessarily planned but they are super excited.  Some are the result of a very frustrating time of trying and trying and trying with, sometimes, moments of devastation and are elated at the opportunity to finally be parents.  I have to be perfectly honest here and say that I am a little jealous but its not my season, yet, but time will tell.  I am eagerly awaiting when my season arrives!  We are super excited to be a part of our friends' and families' journeys and be a part of these tiny people's lives! 
Over this time, to extend on the above thought, we have learned a lot about life and the, um, ...creation...of it.  I don't want to get gross on this.  Anyways, we have witnessed the struggles encountered with it and the disheartening sadness of miscarriage.  We have witnessed the pure excitement that comes when they find out that there's a little person in there and its finally happening.  We have seen the uncertainty that comes with preparing for a little one to arrive and the stress after they are here.  We have also seen the overwhelming love that occurs when they are here and as they grow to be tiny crazy people that have taken over your house. 

In my perspective, I suppose its all relative for most people to decide what is alive or real or not.  I suppose it depends on whether it is wanted or planned with whether or not there is an actual child growing in there or not.  I suppose it just doesn't matter to a lot people whether or not it is a baby because they would rather just erase their mistake because it doesn't fit into their plans. 
I understand that women don't want the government telling them what they can and cannot do.  I think that that goes without saying that the government SHOULDN'T be in control of our own choices-male or female.  However, the fact that there are women that take advantage of the sanctity of life and apparently do not hold themselves responsible for their indiscretions makes me angry.  It makes me physically angry to think about it.
If a woman finds out she is pregnant and doesn't know what to do...in 20 weeks...I'm sorry, that's ridiculous.  In 20 weeks, you have a pretty freakin' prominent 'baby bump.'  You're halfway through the pregnancy!  You have had plenty of time to figure out what you damn-well want to do-you are just selfish and lazy.  At 20 weeks, the child you have created is about the length of a banana, is moving its arms and legs around, has almost fully developed eyebrows and eye lids, has taste buds, has nerves that can feel, is reacting to everything you eat and drink, he or she has sex organs.  You are going to say that you can't decide what you want to do by that time and the government can't tell you that you can't have an abortion?  Are you kidding me?  I don't understand why this is a debate. 
Allow me to clarify a bit.  I understand that certain circumstances cannot be helped.  My opinion is that an abortion should not be performed as a form of birth control.  It should not be something you turn to just because you can and its not good for you at the time.  I understand bad timing-believe me!  Have you read my previous posts?  I am not saying that the government should take over cuz there are a bunch of crazy baby killers out there-I'm not insane.  What I fear, though, is that there may not be enough of these women who have thoroughly considered other options. 
Lets leave emotion out of it.  I don't think that abortions can be that terribly healthy, either.  Most especially after a certain amount of time into the pregnancy.  You are removing something that is, essentially, a part of your body by forcing it out through different means.  No, the other options are not the easiest but none of them are really that easy. 

This is simply how I feel about this topic: I hate it.  I hate that some of the people I love have waited for so long for something so precious and special while other people just get it while not asking for it.  I hate that some people feel like its their only option just because that's a really shitty place to be and I am sorry for those people. 
On the flip side of this, I feel so honored to know people that are faced with infertility and are some of the best adoptive and foster parents out there!  Its a great thing you do and you bless those babies lives just as much as they are blessing yours. 

That's about all I have to say about this.


No comments:

Post a Comment